Does your low mood and lack of energy concern you?
How about depression or negative thinking? Do you long to enjoy life again?
Learn More About Depression:
People experiencing depression often describe it as a feeling of heaviness or as a dark cloud that hangs over everything.
Due to strong feelings of sadness and/or despair, often accompanied by loss of energy, motivation and concentration, depression can have a highly negative impact on a person’s ability to function at work, at home and in social situations.
The onset of depression is often linked to some type of traumatic event like a major loss or to an accumulation of stressful events, while at other times it can just seem like it came out of nowhere. No matter where it came from or how a person describes it, depression is a terribly painful experience that can persist for days, weeks and even months.
Here are some other concerns that a person often encounters during a period of depression:
- Excessive eating with weight gain or, for others, loss of appetite with weight loss
- Difficulty falling and/or staying asleep or, for others, sleeping too much
- Strong feelings of guilt and worthlessness
- Strained relationships with other people
- Avoidance of social situations
- Loss of enjoyment from activities that you usually like to do
- Feelings of hopelessness that can at times involve thoughts of death
How We Can Help
The good news is there are effective ways to treat depression.
At New Directions Counseling Services, we have therapists that can help you learn to change negative thinking, to better manage difficult feelings and emotions, and to develop improved coping skills such as practicing mindfulness and relaxation, building more satisfying relationships and enacting positive lifestyle changes. If the depression is too severe for talk therapy alone, we also have medical professionals on staff that can evaluate for and prescribe helpful Psychiatric Medication.
The goal of the care we provide is to help you attain sustainable changes that include:
- improvement in your daily mood
- better self-esteem and self-regard
- greater enjoyment and meaning in your life
- more satisfying and emotionally nourishing relationships
If you or someone you love suffers from depression, please call the caring professionals at New Directions Counseling Services for the supportive help needed in the journey towards emotional wellness.