Have you ever felt confused about what you are feeling or experiencing? Do you tend to act impulsively? Have you felt like you are on an emotional roller coaster? Do you have problems getting what you want in your relationships or issues maintaining relationships?
Perhaps you have difficulties with all of the above? At New Directions Mental Health, we offer mental health counseling services that can help you address these issues. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) can be a very effective way to help individuals learn how to cope with their emotions in healthy ways. You’re probably wondering, “What is dialectical behavior therapy?” and we can help. Call us today at 724.374.7414 for information about DBT and our other therapy and counseling options.
What Is DBT?
What is dialectical behavior therapy?—it is a specific type of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) developed by Dr. Marsha Linehan that can help you to understand your emotional experiences better, act more skillfully, gain better control over your emotions, or help you to maintain healthy relationships.
4 Skills Built in DBT
There are four primary skills you will build in DBT:
- Distress tolerance
- Emotion regulation
- Interpersonal effectiveness
These skills are each equally as important and can be used to help you in your daily life.
Understanding the Importance of Learning These DBT Skills
These DBT skills can offer clients a variety of strategies to use when experiencing emotional distress.
- Learn how to relax and calm yourself
- Understand to identify your emotional responses better to live more skillfully, manage your anger, and improve your relationships and work performance
- Learn how to be more present at the moment by improving focus and attention, decreasing distractions, decreasing rumination of past mistakes, and decreasing anxiety about your future
- Understand how to control your stress levels better
- Comprehend how to accept your present reality and feel more peaceful as a result
Distress Tolerance Skills
- Discover how to take the focus off the negative in your life and focus on the positive
- Understand how to soothe yourself when painful experiences or emotions arise
- Learn how to make better choices for a healthier you
- Discover how to distinguish between the things you can and cannot control in your life
Emotion Regulation Skills
- Learn how to identify and describe your emotions
- Understand how to take charge of your emotions through healthy behaviors
- Learn how to manage negative emotions when they arise
- Discover how to increase positive emotions in your life
Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Comprehend how to get more of what you want in your relationships
- Learn how to give in healthy ways to others in relationships
- Understand how to do both of the above while increasing your respect for yourself and others in your life
Benefits of DBT on Your Mental Well-Being
DBT offers many benefits, providing individuals with life-changing skills and strategies that can significantly enhance their quality of life. Here are some key benefits of undergoing dialectical behavior therapy:
- Improved emotional stability – DBT helps individuals effectively manage their emotions, reducing emotional instability and promoting healthier emotional responses.
- Enhanced interpersonal relationships – With improved communication skills and conflict resolution strategies, individuals can build stronger, healthier relationships in their personal and professional lives.
- Reduced self-destructive behaviors – DBT strategies help individuals to control impulsive behaviors and reduce self-harm or other destructive actions.
- Increased mindfulness – DBT promotes living in the present moment, encouraging mindfulness and reducing feelings of anxiety or distress related to past or future events.
- Improved stress management – The skills acquired through DBT can significantly enhance an individual’s ability to cope with stressful situations, leading to a more balanced and peaceful life.
At New Directions Mental Health, we understand how difficult it can be to face these issues alone. We offer dialectical behavior therapy and other counseling services that can you get the support and tools you need to improve your mental health.
Call New Directions Mental Health for Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Understanding what dialectical behavior therapy is and how it can be the first step in improving your mental well-being. Our team of experienced mental health professionals at New Directions Mental Health can help you learn new coping skills that will enable you to manage emotions, thoughts, and behaviors better. To learn more about DBT or any other services, call us at 724.374.7414 or message us through our online form.