Create A Healthy Immune System
The immune system is made up of a network of cells, tissues and organs that work together to protect your health. The immune system is the body’s defense against infectious organisms and other invaders. Traditional medicine primarily relies on immunizations and antibiotics to support one’s immune system. There are significant challenges with these methods, however, as immunizations (when they work) only serve to protect you against a very specific bacteria or virus. Antibiotics not only have many side effects, but are also proving to be increasingly ineffective due to overuse.
Our nutritional services are designed to help your immune system function naturally and at an optimal level, including assistance with recovery from various forms of immune system dysfunction.
The three main types of immune system difficulties are as follows:
- Immunodeficiency disorders – conditions that involve some aspect of the immune system either not being present or not working as it should. The end result is that your body’s capacity to protect you from harmful germs and microorganisms is impaired.
- Autoimmune disorders– conditions that involve your immune system attempting to reject or kill off tissues in your own body that should not be interpreted as foreign or harmful. Such disorders can be debilitating as your immune system attacks tissues and/or organs essential to your well-being. There are many types of autoimmune disorders including Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis to name a few.
- We also include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia in this category as our nutritional staff sees the same core challenges with CFS and Fibromyalgia as with other autoimmune disorders including impairment in both endocrine and immune system functioning, as well as significant challenges with the body’s inflammatory response.
- Allergic disorders – conditions that involve an overreaction of your immune system to environmental allergens. Common symptoms include swelling, watery eyes and difficulty breathing that can get as severe as life-threatening anaphylaxis. There are a number of types of allergic disorders including Asthma, Eczema and the variety of allergies that many people experience.
Our approach to immune system health is rooted in a holistic philosophy centered on creating balance in your diet, your biochemistry and your lifestyle in order to maximize the functioning of your immune system .
Our nutritional staff focuses on the following:
- Identifying the origin or causative factors of any immune system difficulties that you are having including use of Mediator Release Testing as needed to assess for sensitivities to allergens including foods and food additives.
- Creating a plan aimed at the dual goals of reducing any symptoms of immune system dysfunction and of boosting your body’s innate immunity. This plan typically incorporates a combination of dietary changes, nutritional supplements and lifestyle modifications.
- Referral to a counselor if needed for assistance with development of stress management skills.